Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Thursday, January 07, 2010

The unchanging Word

Over the years I have gone through some Bibles. New devotional versions. Different translations. The Message, NIV, Amplified, good old King James. I like to switch around. God's word is still God's word. Sometimes just put into a different "slang". Most of it I have memorized from my childhood in the King James or NIV, and that is how it comes back to me when I try to recall it, but I don't have anything against reading "modern" language translations.
Last year I was reading a "women's devotional" version. It had a small portion every day written by a different leading Christian women, focused on women, often about women in the bible. I enjoyed it, but it was time for one of the other sister's to have a turn, so I passed it along.
For the New Year I decided to go digging through boxes in the attic for something "new". I knew there was an entire box of just Bibles and devotional books. I discovered several to start the year off with. I am sure I will comment more on them later - especially "Practicing His Presence".
My favorite find is the Bible I received as a high school graduation gift. I used it all through college and during the first few years of our marriage. It is full of bulletins, and sermon notes, and scraps of wisdom I felt the need to jot down and save.
After not seeing it for several years, those little pieces of wisdom seem so much more meaningful.
I remember "cleaning out" my bible every few months - not wanting to have too much clutter to carry around. Now I wish I hadn't done that. I wonder how much wisdom I carelessly threw away?
One of the things I found was an E-mail from my parents that I had printed out: Encouragement for me when I was leading a Bible study in our first house, at our first base. Some of the people who attended I still keep in touch with - 7 years later. Some of them still don't know Jesus, but they are curious enough about Him to talk to me, even now. I hope they can see Him in me.

Another interesting thing I found tucked in the back of the Bible was a reminder of my youth. Or perhaps my excess free time. My emotions?
I am not sure...
I use to write, all the time. Poetry, of sorts. ALL THE TIME. So, of course, there were several tucked into the Bible.

I am going to bare myself a little and give you a taste.

We, the people of the earth
Are the ground that was planted upon
And to us who are fertile and green
He has given an unstoppable song
He has also given us a Spirit
That waters us as we grow
Sometimes a shower, sometimes a flood
Giving us our own seed to sow
Sometimes it falls on hard ground
and the evil one steals it away
Sometimes it begins to grow
but is smothered, unable to stay
The cares of the earth overwhelm it
the baby plant shrivels up dry
So often the plant is unable to root
The sun, wind and storm make it die
The Spirit, Counselor, Protector
Gently prods us to reach
Our hearts up to the sun, the Son
Now is our turn to share, plant, preach

That was a nice trip down memory lane.
I think I will leave my writing skills in the blogosphere for now though, and leave poetry for someone else!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I never find old stuff because I have always thrown EVERYTHING away! But how neat to find stuff like that later..hmmmm...
Nicely written prose Bethany! :)

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

My sweet hubby thought I was crazy to not want to stop regularly using the Bible my parents gave me as a graduation present. It was totally falling apart...cover off and binding starting to give. But it had so many notes in it from my college Bible classes, and various studies, etc I told him I'd never find anything in another Bible, that I felt like it was a best friend....sigh....when pages started to go I finally had to give in. I was devastated. I still use it when looking things up sometimes..it's just easier with it. wow wish I'd saved the bulletins, little scraps of notes, etc....what a treasure! Love the poem. Thanks so much for sharing!!

EmileeHope said...

I guess being a pack-rat has its advantages sometimes...very rarely...but sometimes! Glad you found an old treasure, what ever will we do if mom and dad move and we have to somehow fit everything that is crammed into their house into our own? I try to clear out the clutter constantly, yet it continues to collect in our little house and I know I would have to get rid of a full room's worth of stuff to fit the things in mom & dad's house into my own!! Enjoy the memories as you use your old bible this year! (Oh, and with the poem, you say you aren't creative, but there is no way I could ever write poetry, well o.k. once in college I HAD to for an assignment, but my creative juices just don't flow that way!! You are a beautiful creative spirit and I am not the only one to think that, so don't you forget it!!)

Karen said...

I enjoyed all of this....

Anonymous said...

I think it is amazing and I don't think I think that just cause I'm your momma.... I think you could publish... I really do....