Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Monday, August 27, 2012

Starving!

 I had a moment today when I thought perhaps I didn't want to be a homeschool mom any more.
 At least, not to a stubborn red-headed six year old.

 At 11:30 he told me he was starving. Since he hadn't finished his breakfast until 8:30 I knew he wasn't going to die. I told him when he finished his handwriting we would have lunch.
 All he had to write was the date and the verse of the week:
 Monday, August 27, 2012  "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved. Acts 16:31"

 It was printed for him. All he had to do was write it below, to practice his letters.

 But for some reason, some small voice in the back of his head declared "Don't do it."

 I told him that he couldn't eat until it was finished.

 He wrote "Mon".

 Canaan and I ate lunch.

 He got up and wondered around the room.

 I fussed at him to get back in his seat.

 We had a staring contest, in which I insisted that I really was the boss, and that he was not going to eat until he did was he was told. Even if he was "Starving".

 I called his dad and left a voice-mail.

 He finished "Monday"

 I called my mom and nearly cried.

 He wrote "Aug"

 It was now 1:30...

 2 hours!!

 He hadn't eaten. He hadn't gotten any other school done. I was so frustrated with him that I had gotten very little done with Canaan.

 My mom had my dad call and encourage him, but first she encouraged me.

 You see, I was so busy being frustrated with him, insisting that he obey, feeling like he was defying me...  I had forgotten to take the time to sit and listen to him.

 Perhaps that first 15 minutes really was simply rebellion. But when I sat with him I discovered that he was upset because his M was crooked. And he felt he had started on the wrong line, and now his u was not the right shape.

  He let his frustration compound until he wasn't in control of his emotions anymore.

 We erased the whole thing and started again.

 A clean slate.

 Working together we had it done in less then 10 minutes.

 He wasn't the only one who learned a lesson today.

 I was reminded that we all have moments of stubbornness. We all need a clean slate sometimes. And when we are willing to listen to the guide who desires to help us the work is so much easier.

 Why is it that my children end up teaching me just as much as I teach them?

 As last week's verse said, "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23 We are well aware of that one.

And next week? We are working on the letter C. "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right." Eph 6:1

 We'll take that one on when it comes!

 For now, that power struggle has me exhausted. Time for bed!

 Blessings,

No comments: