Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Inspirational people

"I am still determined to be cheerful and to be happy, in whatever situation I may be: for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances." Martha Dandridge Custis Washington

When the wife of our first president wrote this in a letter to a friend, she had already survived being widowed at 26, with two small children to care for, had lost two other children, and had married a wonderful man who risked his life daily leading our country in the battle for it's independence. I think she may have been thinking of one of my favorite verses.
"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

I had written a little intro to this thought, about how cool Martha Washington was, as well as our other "First Ladies", but I lost it. Now I don't have time to re-write it. I just wanted to say that I am reading a really cool book about the first ladies, and they were fascinating people. Andy says first of all that I am nerd for reading something "boring" when I don't have to, and secondly that he thinks it is silly to read about people who were famous only by default, not because of their own actions. But I disagree with both of his thoughts. I love history, so it isn't boring. And the wives of our Presidents, especially the early ones, played a huge part in the development of our country. They may not have chosen fame for themselves, but they lived up to it with grace an honor, and left a legacy. They should be famous on their own accord, because they accomplished amazing things.

I am headed to Adairsville, so I have to close. It is time to hit the road. I'll post pictures of our trip to the Pumpkin patch sometime later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It could very well be that some of those men would NOT have become president at all without their wives encouraging them...and perhaps even "giving permission" lol.

I find this Bible verse SO hard to live by. It's not that I don't WANT to...don't get me wrong! And, being around someone who SO clearly and REAL-LY lives this is really an encouragement! I have never seen anyone so LIVE in thanks as Ms. Bethany! It is just so difficult to tame frustration. Not even the real stuff that makes you really really mad...I am not an "easily" angered person, and Corey and I almost never fight, but it is the small little aggravations that provoke me the most. The fact that the house was a total mess after ONE day...when I had spent 12 HOURS deep cleaning not even 2 days before! The fact that we are late even though I tried SO hard to get everything ready early...
Those are the times when I find myself just being "not thankful" in everything. Disgruntled...when it just doesn't really matter much AT ALL!
I need to write this one for the fridge and "practice" more.