Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Monday, November 21, 2011

Find a penny, pick it up...

 I grew up listening to, and now repeating for my own children, the old sayings. "Look before you leap." "A penny saved is a penny earned."
 It seems I have either an old saying or a Bible verse that springs to mind in almost any situation. Of course, words are sort of my thing.

 The one that has been the theme around here lately is that we have been "nickel and dimed" to death. Of course, that isn't exactly how the saying goes. I think it originates from the idea of getting a good deal on a big purchase, then all of the little details that are charged in relation to it - a nickel here, a dime here - adding up. Andy has been muttering under his breath about nickels and dimes for months now.

 The move to MO, and then this one immediately following, were both on a really well planned budget. We took very little with us to Missouri so we could take a little trailer; only had one car while we were there, saving on gas; rented a basic little duplex. But... because we brought so little with us, we kept finding things, little things, that we needed. $5 here, $10 there. (actual nickels and dimes are completely out of the picture now people!)

 Same goes this time. We had amazing volunteer labor, a great deal on a truck, and gas even took a couple cent dip the weekend we moved.
 But on the other side of things- My mom gave us one set of curtains, but I had to have a second with these completely different windows. Plus curtain rods. And a new rug for the back door. And I have no idea what happened to the trashcan for the boy's bathroom... And....

 Nickel and Dimed.

 I look at the house and see how many things there are still unfinished. How many things I have to do until it looks "right". Then again, I suppose the little details really don't matter. Red curtains on one window and blue on another - hey, they are all the way across the room from each other, right? After all,

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

 I will continue to "look at the world through rose colored glasses" and hope to always see a "glass half full" - even if there are nickels and dimes strewn around making a mess everywhere!

Blessings, 

1 comment:

Carrie said...

You are right! It's more like $5-$10 to death these days! I think it's funny when you repeat an "old saying" to the kids and it's new to them. Ah, to not be bored and blah to old wise sayings, ha ha.