Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Friday, March 04, 2011

Learning and laughing while living and loving

 Shortly before Andy left we had a disagreement about the educational goals for our children, or more accurately, how to attain those goals. After the somewhat laid back days of Christmas break, I must admit that we hadn't quite gotten into a serious groove with the new year. Honestly, I hadn't really tried. Andy was working on projects with the boys, taking them on nature walks, spending time in serious discussion about how and why the world works the way it does.
 I wasn't too stressed about sitting at a table and practicing times tables.

 But it came to Andy's attention that Zion didn't know all of his letters. Sure, he could sing the whole song, but there were quite a few that if you pointed to it, he couldn't tell you the name. Mind you, he is still in preschool, but he turned the magic age 5 in December, so Daddy suddenly felt the pressure. Without meaning to, he put that pressure on me.

 It wasn't pretty for a few minutes there.

 The peaceful conclusion at the end was this: He would not worry about their SAT scores quite yet, and instead let them take one moment at a time. I would, for him, give up a little of my free spirited learning practices and make them spend just a bit more time at a table doing paperwork.

 That being said - Look how much fun we had learning with our toys!

How many ways are there to sort and catorgorize vehicles from the movie Cars?

Hmmmm...


Red, Blue, Green...Tractors, Metallic, Wrecked,
 Those made to mimic other movies.
Photographers
Shall I continue?

How about listing them, then adding them? Now THAT is a math problem.
No calculater allowed, just plain and simple addition!

And the second movie hasn't even come out yet. Oh dear!

Zion's letters have gotten some attention also. I refused to push him, but if he is interested, I am not about to hold him back. Just a week before the "fight" I had started a new book with him - "Teach you child to read in 100 easy lessons." The book's focus is primarily on the letter sound, rather than the name, so
Andy might still be frustrated that Z can't tell him the name of some of the letters. But, he has learned their sounds, and how to put them together into blended words.

 
He has recently read the first three "Bob books", and is so proud of himself. It is a long and complicated project to take on a Bob book, (and they have only 2-6 words per page, and about 10 pages) but it is so worth it. The smile on his face when he reaches the end and has accomplished his goal - Priceless!

 Just for my own memory I have to type this here, so I will have it written somewhere for posterity's sake! 
He can never remember the name of N. He recognizes it, and knows it's sound. However, to recall it's name, he spells his name, out loud, every single time. Z-I-O-N - It is an N mommy.
 Another of my favorites is when he is "reading" to me from the other room, and will just be making up nonsense. Then, suddenly he will start naming letters that he sees, or even "straight line that way, straight line the other way" or "the letter after e". Then he will go back to making up nonsense as he "reads" to me.
 The desire to read is emerging. He only gives me about 15 minutes at a time, but they are productive minutes, and I try to use them to their full potential.

I love being a homeschool mommy!
Blessings,  

4 comments:

Abigail said...

So sweet - I love how Zion figures out his N!

Carrie said...

AW! Yay for ZION! That is perfectly on track for preschool!!!!
It's amazing what a difference a year or a few months can make when it comes to reading...many kids don't have that big click till halfway through first grade, some even later! I think he's doing GREAT!
Naming the letters isn't THAT huge of a deal in the big scheme of life really, right? Unless you are on Wheel of Fortune!

Tricia said...

He's still young and he is learning so much. The letters will come. As much as you love reading, he can't help but learn. Yes, of course you should honor Andy, but allow yourslef to breathe and relax and trust that you are teaching him well. Hugs to you sweet friend.

Kristina said...

I am working on reading with Lily, too. She will be 5 in June. I found work books at the dollar store that are awesome!! They have disney/pixar movie themed workbooks, too. She is really into the princess reading workbooks. I love them!!