Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Homemade Flag

We were studying the Civil War in history this week, and the flags of the opposing sides when Canaan suddenly realized that we had omitted a routine from last year.
We hadn't been started our day with the Pledge of Allegiance. I informed him that our flag from the last house had been retired - it was old and torn, and no longer in service.
He decided to remedy the situation by making a flag for us to use this year.

Here he is, working away on a different school project, but it is the same day, so I thought these pictures fit.

Finally, all finished!


Canaan went out in the backyard and picked out a stick, so our flag could have a "flag pole". He proudly picked off any rough edges, (he actually tried to hammer them off of the first one, which didn't turn out so well - life application lesson, right?)

He then proudly waved it up and down, and all around,

...until Zion stuck a parrot between his toes,

which caused some serious roll-on-the-floor laughter.

Zion was playing camera shy,

but Canaan was a little ham for me.
History, Art, and Life Application - plus a lot of fun.
All from studying the Civil War.
Plus he got to see Mommy cry (The Gettysburg Address gets me every time!)
I love being a homeschool family.

8 comments:

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

Sounds like a perfect homeschool day!! LOVE IT!!!!

Tricia said...

Being a homeschool family is definately the greatest adventure God has given me the privelege of having! Sounds like a great day!

EmileeHope said...

Great pictures...homeschool families are too cool!! (P.S. I love the new background and layout it looks great!!)

Mandi said...

I love hearing about everyday life with your little boys. You are such a wonderful mother, and they are thriving because of your enthusiasm for life!

autumnesf said...

Homeschool rocks! Especially when mom gets into it too!

Marcy said...

Hey Bethany! I love your new background. How did your EEG go? I love the flag! What a great idea!

Carrie said...

I want to hear about your EEG also! I am afraid you are already in bed since you had to stay up all night though, so I will call tomorrow!
He did a great job on his flag and I have to say that the parrot between the toes is AWESOME!
I love the last picture!!!!!! FUN!

Dawn said...

God bless him for remembering how important our flag and by extention our country is. I'm sure it has a little to do with your DH. I think your son could teach some others about the importance of patiotism.