Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Monday, October 04, 2010

Directions - who needs directions?!

When Andy and I first married we had it all worked out. He was the pilot, I was the navigator. Truly, it was a beautifully symbiotic relationship. He liked to drive. I liked to have a plan. He couldn't tell north from south to save his soul, at least not in the middle of a city. (Eagle scout he may be, and tie a knot, start a fire and find the moss on the proper side of a tree he can do... but that doesn't help you find your way around San Francisco.) I loved to look at the map, find where we were, where we were going, and then try to narrow it down to the most manageable route between the two.
 Personally, I thought it worked well.

 But last year he replaced me.
 His mistress is named Garmin and he trusts her explicitly.

 Unfortunately, I am dreadfully jealous.

 Sometimes I cannot be with him, and she serves her purpose well.
 Sometimes the way is complicated, and she makes my job much easier.
 But sometimes she makes mistakes. She is a computer, and can't tell when a road isn't open because of construction, or because the military likes to randomly restrict things.
 But still, he trusts her, rather then me. Or sometimes even his own eyes.

 We spent too much time in the car on Sat, driving over to Ft. Benning to "check it out" before Andy gets stationed there. (more on that another time)

 Tomorrow we will be driving up to Ft Gordon to visit our sister-in-law and niece.
 Georgia is getting it's fair share of our gasoline, and my patience.
 I hope little Miss Garmin's battery doesn't die, because I don't think I am even going to pack the map.

 He loves her for directions.
 He loves me for a million other things.
 I think it is time for me to let it go...
 Sigh. Now I have four hours in the car to listen to my own advice.
 September may be over, but the attempt to live a God centered marriage continues!

3 comments:

autumnesf said...

Dud! You still have to take the map! Hide it in the back if you have to. He might need it to start a fire. :)

Carrie said...

We always take an atlas as well. :) One time the rain was heavy, and the signal on the GPS wouldn't work. A major inconvenience!

Anonymous said...

HOPE THE GARMIN FINDS YOUR WAY HERE LATER THIS WEEK!!!