Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Sunday, June 03, 2012

A memorable Memorial Day

Memorial Day weekend is full.

 Full of memories.

 Full of honor.

 Full of family and fun; parades and bands; grills and watermelon.

 For military families I think it is especially poignant. Always.

 But this Memorial Day weekend was special to me for a different reason.

 Sister #3, Kelsey, and her husband Travis decided to move to Puerto Rico. They leave June 18. They told me May 20.


 We had other plans for Memorial Day. "Home" is 7 hours away, and we were just there for Mary Faith's wedding. But when they said they were leaving, I begged Andy to take me home. And he did, because he is wonderful.

 While we were there...

 Canaan had talked about wanting to be baptized. He asked Jesus to live in his heart, well, I think it was several years ago now. But between the moving, and wanting family to be there - and wanting my Dad to be the one who baptized him, it just kept getting delayed.

 We personally believe that water baptism is a beautiful statement of your faith, announcing to others that you are a follower of Jesus. It is not a requirement of salvation, but is something that you should desire.

 And I suddenly realized that if Kelsey and Travis were going to be there, the whole family together, this was the last opportunity. So I asked Canaan if he was ready. He was.



 Buried in sin...
 Risen again in new life!!
Andy's parents are elders in the Presbyterian church. They both laid hands on and prayed for him also. 

And we celebrated! 
 My friend Amanda (since college!), her military man and adorable Emily.
He is withdrawing his commission and heading to Seminary soon. You never know where God is going to send you!
Four sisters, four husbands. 
First time we have taken a picture that way, with Josh as a husband, not a boyfriend. 
And of course, with six shots to sort through, this is the best one - and Andy is blocked by my hair. Sigh. 
I think he does it on purpose. 

 Z found this camo umbrella at a yard sale the day before and was fascinated by it. 
 Canaan's friend Noah, with the adorable missing teeth.
Even Daisy came! 
(has anyone ever seen Andy's face on here?)

 Two photographers, looking at the world through a lens, but seeing it as much as possible through the eyes of God. 
Although at that exact moment, we were simply looking at a sister and sharing a laugh.  

There was a very cool old merry go round and everyone got in on the action at some point in time.
 Canaan showing off.
 Noah and Zion pushed all the girls for a while...
 Then Papaw came and gave a super strong whirl.
 Isn't he amazing? Hardly even broke a sweat!
Zion sat on the sidelines for that one. 
He actually fell off a little earlier and got a goose egg the size of TX. No more twirling for him! 

Then it was watermelon time!

 Look at those eyes- studying it so seriously.
 You can almost see his face!
Water melon clears up tears after a long, exhausting, day of playing.

This was a Memorial Day that will be remembered. 

Blessings, 

No comments: