Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Saturday, April 25, 2020

Be a cucumber


Do you see the cucumber vine, reaching out? 
A tiny little curl, stretching, with faith that it will find something to hold on to as it grows. 

That is us my friends. 
That is the choice we have to make. 
Stretch, with faith. 
Reach out, choosing to “cast all our cares on Him because He cares for us”. 
1 Peter 5:7, paraphrased

Be a cucumber. 


I am re-reading, for the third time now, Practicing His Presence. It is a compilation of the works of two different missionaries, from two different times. Frank Laubach, from the 1930’s and Brother Lawrence, from 1692. 
When I read it the first time, over 20 years ago, it seemed striking. I was young and in college. Ready to change the world. I was going to commit every moment to Jesus. I was going to avoid every distraction. I was ready to practice the presence of God.

When I read it the second time, about 10 years ago it was a beautiful, gentle reminder. I had toddlers and time was hectic, so the reminder to give every second to my Savior was needed. 

This time it was striking in a completely different way. 
Why did I need the reminder? How had I forgotten to give every second to a Him? What was wrong with my walk!! 
And then, in my angst filled guilt trip, my Savior reminded me that He feels the cucumber vine. 


When I reach out, He notices. 
Every single tiny reach.
When I am washing the dishes and lifting up requests, He hears. 
When the music is going as I fold the laundry, He is hearing my praise. 
When the meds are more than I can take and an afternoon nap is needed, yet again, as I pray myself to sleep He is hearing that too.

This is the side of my fridge. 
Every time I turn around, every time I walk by, someone on it gets a prayer. 
Add yourself. Send a picture.
It looks full, but I will find a place for you. 

I think that perhaps my favorite quote of the book, in all of it’s simplicity is this- 
“This is the best way to act: talk a great deal to the Lord.” Frank Laubach 

Be a cucumber.
Reach out.
Talk a great deal. 

Take the time to listen as well. 

This is a gentle reminder to commit every moment, and to remember that “every moment” includes the busy ones and the boring ones, the beautiful ones and the ugly ones. Please, spend some time in focused prayer, on your knees before God. But don’t forget to talk to Him as you dig in the garden, or paint the living room, or cook, or knit or clean up spilled milk or break up yet another fight. 
Talk to God. 
Be blessed my friends.
Know that you are prayed for. 

No comments: