Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Monday, January 28, 2008

My husband, the genius

I would just like to say that my husband is a genius. An absolute genius!
Let me back up a little and give the story. Last week we moved Zion out of his baby crib and into a twin bed. I think that was on Monday. Since that time he has fought sleep with every ounce of his little 30 lb self. I have read articles, online advice, and talked to my friends with kids. I have tried pretty much everything they have suggested. Nothing has worked. Zion would consistently get out of bed, come out into the living room, and just stare at me. When I said something to him, he would run full speed back to his bed and laugh hysterically. For HOURS at a time. I tried taking away his stuffed animals. I tried ignoring him. I tried calming placing him back into his bed. After picking him up, calmly carrying him to his bed and tucking him in, every 2-3 minutes for TWO HOURS I thought my back was going to break. I tried holding him down. I tried spanking him, which is never something I am fond of. I even took away his choo choo blanket. This was going on at every nap and every bedtime. I even locked his bedroom door. That wouldn't keep him in his bed, but at least he was in his room. He just fiddled with the door until he figured out how to unlock it. He was up until 11pm, and didn't have much, if any, nap, for 5 days. He had to be exhausted. I was!
Yesterday he actually got a nap because he fell asleep in the car on the way home from the grocery, and I carefully carried him inside to his bed and he stayed asleep. So, after having a nap I knew that he wouldn't be too tired at bedtime. Even though that doesn't really make sense, it is easier to get him to sleep when he isn't too exhausted. So, we started the process again. After bath, book, God story, and prayers, we tucked him in and left the room. He didn't come out right away, instead climbing in bed with his brother, which annoyed Canaan to the point of yelling for help. We fussed. Zion started the "come into the living room and stare at us" cycle. We took away his train. We locked the door. We fussed. We ignored. Finally, Andy thought to put one of those white doorknob cover things on the inside of his door. He can't grip it tight enough to open the door, but it is perfectly safe because in case of a fire I can easily enter their room. Zion didn't stay in his bed, and we had to open the door to fuss at him a couple of times, but he had to stay in his room, and his brother fell asleep, so eventually he gave up the fight too.
Really, I almost have to admire Zion. He made up his mind, and he has stuck with it. On Friday night everyone else was asleep. Canaan had been out for hours, Andy had drifted off and I was just laying in bed reading. There was absolutely nothing going on, and there is no way that Zion could think that he was missing something. But he still stayed awake. He would just come into my room and look at me until I would say "Go back to bed". I eventually fell asleep around 11:30. I woke up again at 12:10, and went to check on him, and he was asleep, in his bed. I don't know exactly when it happened, since I was asleep, but it did finally happen.
I don't know what will happen today at nap time. It is only 8:35 am, so I guess it is a little early to start dreading it. I will just cross that bridge when I come to it. For now I will be happy that he had a decent nights sleep and is a happy little boy this morning. I will also celebrate the fact that both Canaan and Emma are still sleeping, so it is just Zion and I this morning. I will go give him my undivided attention.
If you have any advice, feel free to post it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

awww....i told andy to hold off on the flowers ha ha! Once they figure out your method they quickly adjust...they are super intelligent robots sometimes!

It will eventually get old....just another phase....like anything else that you will look back on say, man we got through it!

Kelsey and Travis said...

I can just see him and that blank little stare he gives sometimes.