Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Friday, June 13, 2008

My truth for today - part 2

"For all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23
 This is the theme for this blog that has been in my head for several days. The way that verse has been stuck in my head though is incorrect. I had it memorized as "fallen short", past tense. The NIV I read today says "fall". That is present tense. As in, right now, every day, constantly. God's word never fails, and not surprisingly, the verse fits into what God has been impressing upon me EVEN BETTER now. 
 I have been reading a lot of Solomon lately. 1 Kings and Proverbs are both a part of my weekly reading right now. (I am doing a "read through the bible" program, available here ) God gave Solomon the gift of wisdom. He was the wisest man of his time, and was respected far and wide. When you read Proverbs you find it full of little tidbits that are actually applicable to daily life still, today, thousands of years after they were written. Yet, against his own advice, and despite having a personal relationship with God and being blessed immeasurably by Him, he messed up. A lot. He took a lot of wives, then let them lead him around to worshiping false gods. The man who built the holy temple for Yahweh ended up worshiping idols make of stone and wood. I think for modern society that is a little unbelievable. Worshiping something man made still happens, all the time. I have been to India. I have seen it. When Andy was in Thailand, it broke his heart. But, we live in America. Idols are such a foreign idea. But, we have idols. And not just the singing "American" kind.  And not just the big box in the living room that the singing ones appear on. Those are obvious. Most of us who have been Christians for a long time are aware of the obvious "idols". That is not what this blog is about. I just keep being reminded of the fact that ALL HAVE SINNED AND FALL SHORT. No matter who you are, or how long you have been following Christ, or what kind of background you have, or how much time you share with others, or how much money you donate to God.... you still fall short of the glory of God. We are failures, even those of us who know God. But...this is where it gets really good. IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!! We will never be perfect. We will never figure it all out, never do it all right, never obey all the laws or have all the answers. We don't have to. It is a gift. "If righteousness comes through the law (or actions) then Christ died in vain." Galatians 2:21  I LOVE that! 
 I am working through the verses before that right now. Galatians is an amazing letter. 
 My struggle right now stems from this post called "light vision" I found through a friend. The woman who wrote this is a pastor... hopefully seeking God with her whole heart. If she has been convicted to feel this way, should I? I don't think so. Not exactly. This blog started the whole "truth" kick I have been on lately. I am still trying to seek. Sin is not justified - see Galatians 2:17. But, since we all fall short, daily, what sort of "falling short" banishes you from God? What sin keeps you from being a Christian? Deliberate sin? Repetitive sin? I've done both, and God did not abandon me. He got my attention, and reminded me of what was right, but even when I fought him, and argued with him, he didn't stop being my father. Who am I to decide for others? I know I fall short. That is the only thing I can be the judge of. But I also know that when I fall short (daily), God reminds me (daily) of where I should be and how to get there. 
 So, I will try to seek truth daily, and encourage those I love to do the same. 
 Blessings, Bethany

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow...I just don't know what to think about that blog. She would obviously only approve comments that were nice about what she wrote...so....
I dunno.
I am sure that I disagree. I am sure that sin is sin is sin.
I am sure that no one will ever be perfect, but not even striving to make decisions in line with the Bible is a totally different thing than allowing yourself to be conformed to the image of Christ.
This was actually the precise topic of the lesson in our Wednesday night class this week. The process of Sanctification and how the "END" of that process will be glorification but that cannot happen until we are living with God and all has been revealed...therefore, no one can be glorified, or perfect or anything near it until then!
No amount of obeying the laws or rules will get us out of this world, so it can't make us perfect either.
Deliberate and total refusal and denial is a totally different thing. Purposeful disobedience is wrong. It can separate you from God in my opinion. Though the Bible says that things cannot separate you from God, it does not say that YOU cannot separate yourself from God...people do it all the time!
Anyway, this could go on and on...I will stop now and just talk to you later! This is a great discussion!