Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Side note for Lindsey

I actually have not read anything Shel Silverstein, except for "The Giving Tree". So, I cannot give you any advice on him. I loved "A child's garden of verses" when I was a child, and have read some to my boys. I love the illustrations of Eloise Wilkin, so I read them that "version", as well as anything else of hers that I can get my hands on. If you don't know of her, I highly recommend getting your hands on anything she has drawn. Her pictures of babies and children are my favorites! A lot of her stuff is available in Little Golden Book form. 
 My boys are not as enthusiastic about poetry as I had hoped, but they don't seem to hate it. They aren't even real fans of nursery rhymes. But, they love Dr. Seuss, and A.A. Milne!   

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One of the read-alouds that came with our curriculum is a collection of "Mother Goose." This is all original stuff with the old artwork and everything. I read some of these to Katie and Noah, and I was so let down! ha ha. So many of them just do NOT make sense bc of the vernacular used at the time. And, not to get on a discussion of anything, but BOY a lot of them are all about the kid getting a "whipping." ha ha. I guess they served their purpose, but it is hilarious how so nonchalantly it will just throw a whipping in there for good measure! I will repeat myself for clarification...these characters got whipped most of the time, not just spanked! It was crazy reading them and trying to make sense out of them. The Old Woman who lived in a shoe? Yeah, she whipped them all soundly and sent them off to bed....what is up with that, they didn't even do anything...she's the one who had all those kids she didn't even know what to do!
Another favorite thing of mine is when the words don't rhyme anymore because of how we say them...not just because I am southern, but because "been" and "queen" don't rhyme in any portion of the US!