Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Thursday, December 17, 2009

Miracles taken for granted

This morning when I went to take my morning dose of meds my daily dispenser was empty.
I pulled out my multitude of bottles and started pouring and dispersing.
Some days are "red days". Some days are "orange days". Some meds are for every day - they are usually plain white, or slightly yellow... but they don't count in the color scheme.

Canaan was helping me organize, and count, and make sure everything went where it was needed. I had to laugh after we were done.
How many six year olds spend their morning shaking pill bottles for their mother I wonder?

Truly, I don't HAVE to take all of them. Vitamins are just extra. One of my multi-vitamins is orange, thus the orange day - I added a B complex to that day too. My other multi is red. Cranberry caplets go on that day, continuing the red theme, and to try to prevent UTI's.... which sometimes works. Cinnamon caplets, which are brown don't really go with either color, but they usually stay with red. Cinnamon helps metabolize sugar, and as a diabetic that is wonderful. I even have a system cleanse right now, because Andy bought it, and rejected it, so I am giving it a try.

The ones I have to have are for seizures, and my thyroid. But even those I probably would not die if I was forced to live without them. Be uncomfortable, yes. Very unhappy, yes. But die.... not for a long time.

This, however, I would die fairly quickly without.

Thank God for modern medicine. We are coming up really soon on the 18 year anniversary of my use of Insulin.

There are still days every once in awhile when I ask God why in the world he hasn't healed me yet. There are moments on occasion when I despise living with diabetes. (like this week when I am on my second round of antibiotics for a very basic infection that my body is just too weak, or riddled with irregular blood sugars, to fight on its own!) But in all honestly, those moment are few and far between. I like my life, with all of it's physical weaknesses and faults. The mental and spiritual weaknesses on the other hand... well I am doing my best to work on those.

Diabetes, and the responsibility I was required to have in order to LIVE, have shaped me. Helped make me who I am.
I am so thankful for that.
I learned years ago to sing that old Twila Paris song "This thorn" and mean it, at least in regards to my diabetes.
Now I have to learn to sing it, and mean it, about Topamax and Lamictal.
One pill at a time.
One injection at a time.
One day at a time.

Always thankful.

7 comments:

Tricia said...

What a wonderful attitude. May God continue to bless you and yours.

autumnesf said...

Kelp is a good supplement for the thyroid -- since the meds dont actually help the thyroid any, they just dump the artificial hormone in the blood. I always feel a little better when I use it.

Carrie said...

What a great attitude! you are an inspiration!

EmileeHope said...

Nice stack of drugs there sis!! (I am down to just 4 doses of one drug a day...I gave up on the others, but none of mine are must-have-to-live drugs, they are for IC, and infertility!) I love you my dear and look up to you and your wonderful attitude about health issues!

Kelli Williams said...

Dear Bethy,

Oh boy can I identify with this!:)

It's a weird thing to be completely dependent on a drug - the way you are with insulin and I am with steroids. But it's such a blessing that we've got these resources available to us!
God has been good. So maybe healing wasn't the plan, but He's still provided us with LIFE and a way to cope with these endocrine/neurological failures and shortcomings. And amazingly for both of us, He's also provided the ability to mentally and emotionally cope so we can live our lives in a way that is still glorifying to HIM. God is mysterious - but God is GOOD. May God bless your body today and give you strength and peace.
I love you, my sister.

- Kelli

Tricia said...

Merry Christmas!

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

Oh I can identify as well with my Crohn's. But it gives me lots to look forward to in heaven. Once, my daughter told me when she realized there were certain basic foods that I could never eat "Mommy don't worry when you get to heaven God will have a banquet table covered in...." I decided long ago that the sufferings and shortcomings in this life would only make me yearn for the next life even more!! WHOOOHOOOO!! Won't it be wonderful there?!!!