Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Word, always the same

I grew up on the NIV and the New King James translations of the Bible. When a verse comes to my head, that is the way it flows, the way it sings in my soul.
But I am open to reading The Word in modern language. Jesus spoke the language of the people, the common man. He wasn't a lawyer, or an orator, or a college professor. He was a carpenter, who might have even used slang, like ya'll, or yep.
With that thought, I have picked up many different translations/versions of The Word. I appreciate The Message, and The Message for Kids. The New American Standard and the Amplified. This year I am reading through the Bible in the Tyndale Living Translation, which I feel sure I have done before... but somehow I missed this verse. I suppose that is why we are suppose to remain in The Word at all times?!

Psalm 4:1 NIV "Answer me when I call to you, O my Righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer."

The Message "When I call, give me answers. God, take my side! Once, in a tight place, you gave me room; Now I'm in trouble again: grace me! Hear me!

New King James "Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness! Thou has set me at large when I was in distress: have mercy upon me and hear my prayer."

And now, the one that struck me. The one I read this week, and gave me pause. The Living Bible. "God, you have declared me perfect in your eyes; you have always cared for me in my distress; now hear me as I call again. Haver mercy on me. Hear my prayer."

Looking at it in NIV, it seems we are talking about God's righteousness. In the Message, he is simply begging for God to take his side. But in the New King James and Living Bible it reads so much more definitely that God has declared him as righteous, or perfect. Already forgiven.
I love David.
His faith was simply amazing. He messed up, but then he confessed, repented, mourned, and trusted with complete faith that it was over. The Psalms are full of it, and it is so beautiful to read.
Sin entered the world long ago, and mankind has kept adding to it over the years. Because of that marriages are failing. People steal, kill and purposely hurt each other. Physical bodies are falling apart.
But my God has declared me perfect in His eyes. That is enough for me!
What Words have spoken to you lately?

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I love reading alternate translations of the Bible, and I get so bent out of shape with people who think that only one translation is the "right" one. grrr! Do Chinese people read KJV?!? I think not!

So, anyway...
I wrote this verse on an index card for my bedside table after hearing it from our last Beth Moore study, and my version was even different from hers...

Psalm 90:17: May the BEAUTY of the LORD OUR GOD rest upon us.....

Karen said...

I love the parallel Bible I got for Mother's Day several years ago...the alternate translations side by side are perfect for studying...

The scripture tag at the bottom of my monitor right now is Psalm 61:2...

When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I.