Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Thursday, September 09, 2010

My version of a baby book

 This is the kind of post that no one really cares to read except perhaps Noni and Grammy. But you see, if I don't type it up and post it here, it will be gone forever. That tiny slip of paper that the nurse handed me at the well-child appointment, it will soon be lost in the mess of paper here on my desk.
 My computer desk has some organization to it, truly it does. The bills have their spot, and are filed accordingly. The required paperwork for homeschool has a folder and is kept neatly also. Receipts, adoption file, a container for passwords and account numbers. They all have their places.
 But here where I sit and write, here where everything happens - here it is a disaster. When an idea strikes, or a verse hits me, or one of the children say something cute I jot it down on whatever happens to be available at the moment. Sometimes it goes on my Blackberry, but often it is a post-it note, or the back of a napkin, or an old envelope that hadn't gotten thrown out with the junk mail. So here, where everything happens, is overflowing with disaster. Happy, creative, potentially wonderful disaster - but disaster none the less.

 I have been a complete failure at keeping a growth chart for my poor boys, and since we move so often they don't have a door frame to mark and watch their progress over time. Instead, I have journaled their growth here in the wonderful world of blogland.

 Last week Canaan, at seven years and three months was 49 inches tall and 61 pounds. He was in the 75 percentile I think she said in height, and is a hefty boy, but not overweight. However, with my high cholesterol, and heart attacks on both sides of the family, they want to check his cholesterol level (already!) The doctor said "might as well check them both" so I need to take them in for a fasting blood draw sometime soon. She also wanted to give him some Claritin to keep on hand, since his allergies are always acting up.
(As I was looking for photos to add to this post, I realized that 1) I have been a slacker since we got our haircuts and 2) I take lots of pictures of them doing things, and almost none of them looking at the camera! Oh well, they are busy little things, always doing something.)

 Zion, at four years and 8 months was 43.75 inches and 44 pounds, 1 oz. Almost exactly the same height and weight! That puts him in the 95 percentile. I knew he was tall, but didn't realize how very tall he was. I read a chart saying the average height for a five year old was between 42-46 inches. He is already 44in, and won't be five for another four months!
 Even though he hasn't had any trouble with his asthma since we have lived here in S. GA, she wanted me to get a refill on his inhaler, just in case. If he goes another winter without any trouble we can pretty much say he has outgrown it. Praise God!

 Zion had to have booster shots, and it made him slightly grumpy that he had to have them and Canaan didn't. However, he got over it pretty quickly. Who has time to be upset about a couple little shots when there are so many other cool things to do with life?
 Who can't learn from that? Let the bad slide off, and focus on the good. Blessings my friends!

1 comment:

Angelia Sims said...

Wow! Big healthy boys! I can't believe they want to check their cholesterol? They seems a little premature, doesn't it?

It's so hard to catch the kid's faces. I have that same problem, except I usually catch the back. HA.