Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Spank a little, spoil a little

Pray a whole stinkin' lot. 

 Each child is different is what they always say. I was a child development major in college. My degree is in Psychology for crying in the mud. I am suppose to know what I am doing.

 But this, this is anger.

This is seeking attention, begging for attention - and the problem is, I don't really know why. 
Why does he feel he has to beg for it?

 I know every house has different ways of doing things, but in our house, the shelf shown below

 is neatly filled with the "buckets", 

sorted by style and type of toy, and only two at a time are allowed out. 
 He knows that dumping all six (you can't see the Mr. Potato Head "bucket" behind the closet door) in one giant pile, plus the lincoln logs, cowboys, and alphabet blocks was a sure fire way to make mommy lose her OCD mind.

 Then, he said his finger hurt, and he couldn't pick them up. His finger?! Seriously -  A quick little swat on the behind made him remember that he wasn't the boss, mommy is.

 And as long as I sat with him, we made progress. Every time I walked away though, he quit. Yes, I know he is only four. His attention span is so very short. That is why I stayed with him, and helped him. But occasionally I had to check on the other kids, or try to catch a minute with Andy before he left for work. Zion just wanted my attention focused on him, and him alone.

 Canaan knew, even at four, how to ask for my attention without destroying things. Zion doesn't seem to have that gift. Maybe it is the lack of clarity in speech? Maybe it is the competition, being the second child? Maybe, maybe, it is just how he is wired.
 That is what I am trying to learn right now: "every child is different". And not only is each child different, but each minute is different too.
 Because the defiant, disaster creating "don't mess with me" boy meekly ate his veggies, carried over his plate and asked nicely for dessert.

 Had a slight moment of forgetting his manners at teeth brushing time, but curled up nicely for Bible and story time. He literally dragged himself to bed on his belly, complaining the whole way, but prayed so nicely and gave a generous hug and kiss.
 Can you say mood swings?

 Homeschool mommy is not just teaching, she is learning too.

 I think it may be time for my icecream treat now...

4 comments:

Carla said...

Hang in there!! I think some children just love throwing out the toys. He may just be your creative child. I have one that I lose it, but finally is getting neater everyday. I just try to point out when things are done well. And try not to go off the edge when I walk into a disaster! It is hard keeping everything going somedays especially homeschooling when your "stuff" is always there and the children are too. I wouldn't take my nice neat house back anyday though!!!
Keep working with him and I am sure he will catch on. We just talk about diligence and doing our best all the time!! And may times during the day!!!

Tricia said...

Hang in there. They grow up way too fast! You are doing a great job with those boys. Wish I could be there to spot you on a day like today.

OH - I realized a long time ago that God's purpose for me homeschooling the girls is not just to teach my children, but for God to teach me. ;)

Carrie said...

ha ha ha ha! TAKE THAT OCD girl! This is what I deal with Katie all the time. She likes her things out, spread around...arranged in a beautiful unique way where she can SEE them. Maybe you could put away the really messy things, like the tiny things that truly make a mess and let him be sometimes with the rest. His brain may need it! :) I just don't go in her room...that's how I deal with it...but I'm not nearly as annoyed by it as you are either. Noah's room stays a lot neater. But he plays in there a lot less too to avoid making messes, so who is really winning this competition?
I long for a play room. The play room can stay "played in" and the BEDroom can stay neat and relaxing for sleep. That's the goal anyway.

autumnesf said...

I agree with Carrie. Some kids just cannot handle that amount of stuff. They need to be limited on what they have in order to help maintain it. So put a couple of those buckets up in the closet and rotate which ones you have out at any given time. A win win for both of you.