Who writes this stuff?

My Photo

I am happily married to an amazing military man who spent 9 years enlisted and is now an Officer in the US Army. We have two little boys who infuse every moment of every day with creativity and energy. I was educated at home, and am now teaching our children - second generation homeschoolers! I try every day to become more like Jesus Christ, and to love like HE does. If you want you can try and catch me at bethylovesandy@yahoo.com

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV 
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."

Verse of the day

Friday, January 22, 2010

Homemade Bodywash

We are becoming more "Hippie" by the day it seems. Truly, it is not all my fault. Andy contributes too.


I may have been known as "Captain Planet" back in college, for starting the campus recycling drive, and for harping on my roommates constantly to turn off the lights, and tv, and water. But I married my equal.

Andy was the one who pushed through and actually made the homemade laundry detergent. I may have been the one who heard about the idea, talked about the idea, actually uses the detergent, dries the clothes on the line rather then the dryer, etc.... but he was the one who went to the store, bought the ingredients and made the laundry soap one weekend while I was out doing other things.

Ever since then he has been talking about making our own body wash. Canaan has terrible eczema- terrible. We spend a fortune in lotions, sensitive skin body washes, shampoos, etc. We kept reading that Tom's all natural soap was supposed to be really gentle. The problem is that it is almost $4 a bar, and our six year old doesn't seem to be able to keep a bar of soap for longer then about three baths. He simply destroys them.
So, Andy occasionally does a search for homemade organic body wash. Last week he finally found a recipe that sounded do-able. So, he made it. Just like that! Really, should I be surprised?

1/2 gallon distilled water
Minerals, colors and scents as desired



Melt 2 cups grated soap in 1/2 gallon distilled water (we doubled the recipe which is why it looks like so much more then 1/2 gallon in the pot)


Along with 2TBSP of Vegetable Glycerin oil

Add scent or color if desired, which it wasn't for us - the simpler the better for poor Canaan's skin!

Mix well.


We poured it into mason jars and let it cool.
It solidified into a fairly thick substance, which scared me at first, but after shaking it up a bit, it is the perfect consistency. One jar at a time gets poured into an old Johnson and Johnson baby wash bottle and seems to be working wonders so far.


I do love being one of the Planeteers, and raising little junior Planeteers too!

Good for C's skin, good for the environment, science lesson for the kids...and, to top it off, it was really pretty cheap:
One gallon distilled water - $1
Vegetable Glycerin -$6, but we used less then 1/3 of the bottle
Two bars of Tom's soap - $7.20
Total made - 10 18oz jars of body wash.
Total spent - $10.20
Not bad for 10 jars of body wash~

If we had shopped around, we could have gotten the Tom's cheaper. Andy was just impatient. Once he gets an idea in his head, he wants to do it NOW. Rite Aid is not the best place to buy soap, especially when it is not even on sale. I found it on Amazon for $0.99.

Hippie life is good. Now I just need a daisy chain to wear in my hair.

**Update, November 2011. So many of the comments of those planning to use the bodywash are suffering from eczema. One thing we discovered recently, after reading around, was that eczema is often made worse by certain foods. We have removed all citrus and strawberries from Canaan's diet and it has helped immensely. Now that he has removed citrus from his diet, it is amazing to see the immediate repercussions when he does consume some by accident. Just a squirt of lime on some fish was enough to double his rash in 24 hours. So, eczema sufferers, read around and consider banishing certain foods. Blessings, Bethany**

***Yet another update. Feb 2012 - I have now added Discus - I am still learning how to navigate and moderate, but I think commenting will be easier now. Please have patience with me as I try to keep up with questions!***