Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Hawthorne Quote

"The greatest obstacle to being heroic, is the doubt whether one may not be going to prove one's self a fool; the truest heroism is to resist the doubt- and the profoundest wisdom, to know when it ought to be resisted, and when to be obeyed." Nathaniel Hawthorne, "The Blithedale Romance"

I have only just started the book - three chapters in - and it will be one that requires a slow reading. You can't just skim it, you have to digest it.

Read this once or twice - think about it, then tell me how you feel.

5 comments:

Tricia said...

Makes sense to me. It is one of those quotes that seems wrong the first time you read it, just because the wording is different that anything we would hear today. But when you really look at it, it is right on.

Dawn said...

Oh, I look forward to reading your final review. Hawthorne is tough to get through, but he sure has a grace with the English language that is rare to find.

autumnesf said...

I have that book. Now I'm intrigued Guess I need to read it next.

Carrie said...

ugh. I am too lazy for that kind of reading, and I am NOT AFRAID to admit it! ha ha.. did I prove the point?

EmileeHope said...

Mom says she says the same as Carrie.
I say that I am glad I didn't put Hawthorne on my reading list!! (Ha Ha! But really that would be too much for me to try to get through! I do like that name though, so maybe someday I will get around to it. Just keep posting some of his interesting quotes and that will be enough for me!)