Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Rivers of living water

"This is the testimony. God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God, does not have life." 1Jn 5:11-12

 I recently joined a ladies' bible study at church. I missed the first meeting, mostly because I forgot about it the night before and stayed up til 3. Getting my kids up, dressed and to the church by 9 seemed pretty much impossible after a late night like that.
 But tomorrow is meeting number two and I am excited. We aren't doing a Beth Moore study, or a specific theme like marriage, or raising Godly children... we are simply going to study together and work to memorize foundational scriptures.

 Foundational. All those verses you memorized as a child. The ones that are the basis of what you believe, and explain who God is, what He asks of us, and how to introduce Him to those around you.
 Surely I have known those my whole life. I grew up singing them along with various animated characters. When a question arises, they spring to mind as easily as water flowing from a faucet.
 But with this group I am going to study where the faucet gets the water from. I am going to go back and memorize the "address" of all those verses. (Matthew 6.... hmmm)
 And I'm going to do it with other women of God who are seeking first His kingdom and righteousness. (vs33!)

 There is something about holding each other accountable, isn't there?

 I can tell myself to focus on a verse, memorize it, learn it, study it. I'll even write it down and post it on the fridge. But knowing that someone else is going to ask me "did you learn it" or even better, "what did you learn from it"... well, that will make me stay focused, dig deeper, and listen harder for that still small voice.

 God's word speaks.

 We just have to take the time to listen.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Memorization is a powerful thing to have...sharpen your sword :)
Love the new signature!