Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Josiah and Benjamin Button


 Last night, rather then blog, I stayed up and watched "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". It was quite a tear jerker. I am not sure if I liked it or not. I am still deciding. 
 I cried, but that is not saying much. It doesn't take much to make me cry at a movie. Mostly I just felt that there was so much waste. I suppose that is the lesson we are all needing to learn? Don't waste your life. Don't wait around for life to start. 

 My devotional reading this morning was talking about King Josiah. His life, when it was over, could be condensed into one verse. "He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord and walked in all the ways of his father, David, not turning aside to the right or to the left." 2 Kings 22:2 
 I'm not saying that was all he ever did with his life, just that his life could be summed up that simply. 

 When my life is over, and the condensed version is summed up, what will be said? How will I be remembered? How do I want to be remembered? Looking at Benjamin Buttons' life, and King Josiah's life, has given me some food for thought. What will be the simplified version of my life? 
 A couple of things I know for sure. 1.) I don't want to turn to the left or to the right. Sometimes being aware of which way is the straight way is slightly difficult - but that is the whole point of having the Holy Spirit. 
 2.) I really don't want to waste any time. Not one single minute. 
 When I was 13 years old, and had only been diabetic for a short time, I read somewhere that the lifespan for diabetics was shorter then for the rest of the population. That scared me. I can say, with complete honesty, that since that time I have put a lot of thought into appreciated my life. Of course, I have learned as I have grown up that there are a lot of things that can kill me, or anyone, besides being diabetic - the reality of that is right there, every day. I refuse to dwell on that. 
 Instead, I focus on the lesson that was impressed on me while I was still just a child. Don't take a single moment for granted. Live life with all the energy and joy and forgiveness and love that you have inside you. Don't hold anything back. Every single day. 

No comments: