Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Friday, May 22, 2009

School rants and raves

 Last night we were at a homeschool graduation party for a friend of the family. During the ceremony commemorating her accomplishments, Canaan leaned up to ask me, "What is going on?" I told him that we were all celebrating because she had graduated, which means she had finished her school and now she was going to get to go to college. In his best, "you can't fool me" voice he replied, "Isn't college just more school?" 

 He has definitely decided that school is not fun. He told me today that he HATES SCHOOL. He even told me in all capital letters. It was quite disconcerting. I thought I had several years before I would have to deal with that. I told him that. After mulling my opinion over for awhile, (that he wasn't allowed to hate school yet) he decided that he only hated it because he had to do it EVERY SINGLE DAY. (once again, in all caps - he is quite expressive right now) I hated to break it to him that he has 12 more years of every single day.... and that doesn't count college.  
 Poor kid! 

 He is actually doing quite well in school. He is at least on level (more likely above) for reading and math, which at his age are the most important subjects. His handwriting, on the other hand (pun intended) is horrid, but so is mine, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Thank goodness for computers, right? 
 Today was actually a really fun day of school. We made homemade paper, then, because the hand cranked thing was so hard to turn and we wussed out and used the blender, we decided to study electricity too. We talked about the usefulness and blessings of paper, as well as the usefulness and blessings of electricity. I'll post pics soon, and show you our creativity - but first, I am off to watch a chick flick with my good friend Carrie. 
 Right now, being silly takes priority over being productive. 
 School is done for the day - time for some play time! 

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I had so much fun at the movie! And, I am sorry Canaan hates school. Maybe you should tell him he has to learn lots of things and get a good job so he can start treating Katie like a "girl." ha ha!

Karen said...

I like Carrie's comment.....