Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A day in the life...

The Heart of the Matter blog hop theme this week is "A day in the life". Since we don't really keep a schedule, I thought I would just share a little about what we have learned lately.

We studied electricity last week - and are again this week. As with most things, we play it by ear. I found some books at the library about circuits, and wiring. Checked out the Magic School Bus and Max Axiom books, both of which always have great ways to teach kids, especially boys, about science. We've talked about magnets, and static electricity.  We've talked about the filament in lightbulbs, and how they have evolved over time.
 I keep saying we are going to do a "real" experiment one of these days - create a circuit with a 9v and wire, and an on and off switch.... but I keep chickening out. I sure wish Daddy wasn't out of town!

 Our quote of the week is from Thomas Edison, "Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration", which makes a beautiful handwriting exercise, as well as stretching his vocabulary.
 We've thrown in some spelling words. Besides the obvious ones; electric, wire, magnet, Edison, I wanted him to think about ways to create electricity; Solar, wind, coal. I even threw in a doozy - Lightbulb. We'll see if he can memorize that one!
 One day we typed in Edison on Google, just to see what we could find. I hadn't remembered to find an age appropriate book at the library, so we were just meandering around. I found a homeschool site with some interesting points, written out in fairly easy bullet style - although more at about a fifth grade level rather then a second. I was reading them out loud to Canaan, hoping he was absorbing some of it, when he suddenly grabbed a pencil and paper and started scribbling.
 I nearly fussed at him, thinking I had lost his attention altogether - I wanted him to at least try to pay attention, even if it was above his grade level.
 But then I looked down and saw what he was scribbling.
He first drew the page with the numbers - starting with 10, because Edison built his first lab in the family basement when he was 10. Canaan picked 20 and 30 just because those sounded like important ages to him, and to tell you the truth, I have no idea what those are drawings of, maybe the automatic telegraph for one of them?... but age 84 is when Edison died. Just this evening Canaan was looking at the page and realized that he hadn't drawn anything in that spot. His question was, "What was the last thing Edison invented?" Not, "How do you draw a casket, or a grave, or a funeral" - I love his assumption that Edison kept on inventing until his last breath.

 The other page, and remember, it was spur of the moment so don't judge his handwriting or drawing skills by this example, has a picture of: 1) Edison having a brilliant idea, a lightbulb going off in his head! 2: oh, wait, that picture is the automatic telegraph machine... 3: The first motion picture Edison recorded on film was a sneeze. Canaan thought that was cool. 4: Edison also invented the phonograph, or record player. Canaan's idea of exactly what that is might be slightly warped... he calls it a giant CD player!

 That is a day in our life. The thing is, our days change so much, you never know what you are going to get!
 Yesterday morning we decided to repot several houseplants - and because of that we googled the parts of a plant, and talked about fertilization, pollenating, and honeybees, and Canaan became the teacher for a while, telling his brother that we need plants because they "clean the air and give us oxygen".
A Trio Bumble bee (with batman wings)
 After playing in the dirt I needed to shower. I told them that after their handwriting was done (Zion had to write his Bb's, Canaan his spelling words and quote of the week) they could cut from old magazines and make collages. When I came out Canaan was trying to decide if the shape he had created had a name. I told him to count the sides - it had eight. That means it is an Octagon. "But Mommy, a stopsign is an Octagon, and this doesn't look anything like a stopsign." Back to the internet we went. I found a fabulous site with the definition spelled out, the geometric angles explained, and a part that lets you create any shaped irregular octagon you want. Canaan got really creative with his Octagon-ing.
  I suppose that is why I love the term "unschooler". We study what strikes us that morning. Obviously, if nothing strikes us, I have to have a backup plan... because we can't sit around all day every day playing Legos. But most days, something strikes us, and we are off!
 And that, is a day in the life....

7 comments:

Tricia said...

Oh how I miss the spontaneity of schooling young children! High school requires a bit more structure. So does Butterfly's brain injury and FigNewTon's personality! :)

Reading your posts about school alwys make me smile with fond memories of my own. Thank you for that.

Carrie said...

neato day teacher! :)

Together We Save said...

Sounds like you are a great teacher!

Karen said...

Awesome! I love Canaan's Edison pages....

Anonymous said...

Love it! Great post.

We are also very child-led though I do shy away from the term 'unschooler' cause I had some radical unschoolers jump on me for *gasp* using a textbook! LOL (but it's a text book about WHAT HE'S INTO!)

I guess you would call us guided unschoolers. I don't push, but I do gently nudge, when needed, though sometimes I feel as though he is dragging me along behind him! LOL

So glad you commented on my blog so I could find yours!

Christy said...

Thanks for stopping by...we are studying electricity right now too. I so agree with you on flexibility in schedule...I love it my kids get to see my husband during the day. My mom worked that 2nd shift growing up and we rarely saw her during the week. I feel very blessed. Thanks again for visiting.

MissMOE said...

What a wonderful day! I want to come hang out at your home! Thanks so much for taking the time to share.