Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Thursday, August 12, 2010

Our "schoolroom"

Heart of the Matter is hosting a "Not back to School" blog hop this month. Last weeks theme was curriculum. I chickened out on participating, since I completely and utterly do not have a curriculum. I am not sure I can truly call myself an "unschooler", because we do occasionally sit at a table and work on paper, but curriculum is sort of a foreign word around here.
 This weeks theme is the schoolroom. Andy and I just had an, ahem, "discussion" about that a few nights ago. He wants us to buy some school desks, where the boys can sit in organized structure and learn.
 I said that stands in opposition of everything I believe in.
 I think he thought I was being a little overly dramatic.
 We decided to just drop the subject for the time being...
 For now, I am going to share a few pictures of my interpretation of the schoolroom.

 Anyone who has read this blog
 before has seen my school closet
 and has seem my obsession with
bookshelves neatly organized. I really need to take some pictures of the ones in the boy's bedroom.
 As for the rest of our "school room"...




Bookbags, ready to go wherever, and whenever, we feel led. 

 The dining room table, for those moments of handwriting or math that require a hard surface. 
 When he saw me taking a picture, he said, "Mommy, are you going to blog about this? Why don't you take a picture of me celebrating being done!"
 I love my positive thinker!
The spare room, full of lego's at the moment. Creativity at it's best. 
Either of my children can spend hours, if I let them, building, and then describing to you in detail what they have built and how it works and the ways it interacts with all the other things they have created.
The backyard, watching a lizard try to decide if he can eat a dragonfly that is bigger then he is. 
(Can you see them there, on the sprinkler pole?)

The kitchen - This morning for breakfast Canaan declared that he wanted to "invent" a new food. After giving him a short and toned down lesson on bioengineering, and how complicated it is to create a new food. (like a seedless watermelon or a pluot) he looked at me and said, "Mom, I just wanted to add some things to waffles, to make them like I want them."
 I just laughed! Hopefully he knows the difference between a recipe and a new food now. We talked about which ingredients you have to have for consistency
 and then I just let him be creative to his hearts content. 
Yes, that is peanut butter, cloves, pb and butterscotch chips and cinnamon sugar. 
I believe he added rolled oats too, and perhaps some raisins? 
 Zion got in on the action too. 
School that you get to eat... what could be better then that? 

Lessons, ready to be absorbed, in the classroom called the world
 That is how I see our schoolroom. 

3 comments:

Carrie said...

When they get older you may want a separate "hard surface" work area where they can be sent to work on things without the distraction of the other one. I am thinking on that one right now myself. Esp with them having separate Math lessons it is getting distracting and the kitchen table isn't far enough away. That gives me something to think about. But, I know it goes against "everything you believe in" ha ha, I can see him reacting to that now! Did he not KNOW THIS when you were dating?? It's an example of one of those things that attracted us to each other in the beginning becoming the very things that drive us NUTS later! ha ha.
Thanks for sharing your school space!!!

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing these sweet moments....

Anna P said...

Your boys are adorable! Thanks for sharing your space =)