Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Thursday, October 09, 2008

God's Gift


Everyone, I would like you to meet Gifty. We are hoping, praying, doing everything within our power, to make this little angel part of our family. On Tuesday of last week (as in 9 days ago!!) I opened an E-mail from a friend, titled "little girl in Liberia needing help". It had a picture of a little baby reaching out toward me. Anyone who has known me for long knows that I have always planned to adopt, "someday". Well, when I saw that picture, God said "today is someday". I showed her to Andy. I didn't say a word. I didn't even show him the title of the E-mail. I just showed him the picture of her. I believe his first words were "We need to bring her home." So, we prayed, and we prayed, and we prayed. And then I spent about 24 hours straight on the phone. Now we are currently living life on the fast track, or at least on the adoption fast track.
 You see, Gifty has a very serious disorder called Biliary Atresia, which, from my understanding, means the bile duct connecting the liver to the intestine is blocked. (I still have a lot of learning to do) If she had been born in America she would have had surgery at a much younger age. Since she didn't have surgery, her liver has been completely worn out. She needs a new liver. 
 So, right now we are trying to move quickly. We are filling out paperwork as fast as we can. Our first interview for the homestudy is on Saturday. Hopefully within the next 4 weeks I will be flying to Liberia to pick up our little girl. 
 Right now we need your prayers. Gifty has a fever, and we would really like that to go away. Andy and I need wisdom as we try to learn as much as possible about the adoption process, and Biliary Atresia as possible. We need the legal process to move quickly, for health reasons. And sadly, but unfortunately true, we need God to work a miracle with money. 
 I know God said take this step. I trust that the next step will take care of itself. Please, check back here for updates. Thank you in advance for approaching the throne of God on our behalf. We serve a loving God, who is involved in our lives. Praise God!  

4 comments:

EmileeHope said...

Love you sis! I know that everything will work out exactly as it is supposed to! I'm praying for you and for little Gifty!

Anonymous said...

Bethany,
This is amazing, and my heart is there with you. I will inquire with some of my friends who are very supportive of adoption to see if they feel led to help with some of the money situations. Keep me posted on how everything is going. I read the blog information from the girl in Africa, and that really gave me a cleaner picture of what is going on. This is going to be hard... and there is not promise that when you get Gifty here it will get easier. Still, I know that you are doing the right thing. I don't know how I know... but I know. I fear, though, that you and Andy's hearts may be broken a few times over before this journey hits an easier path. Hang in there, and keep me updated. My prayers are with you! *hugs*

Charity <><

Unknown said...

hey! I can't see the picture..... (though I have seen it before, just thought you might like to know.)
And...I am cautiously excited with you about this whole thing...and praying it all works out. You are a great awesome family for wanting to give this child a loving and caring home. She couldn't get a better set of parents!
Let us know too about $ and if there is any way we can contribute (since I am not jumping up and down to volunteer as your travelling companion! ha!)

Anonymous said...

Praying hard for little Gifty and for the Lord to work out all the details!

Naomi