Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Saturday, November 15, 2008

Watch your words...

...for they may come back to haunt you. 

 I found this blog that I started to write several weeks ago, that I never finished, and never posted. I think that today is the day instead.  

 My friend Lindsey was blogging today about our example to our children. What we say to our children is important. We have to tell them a lot of things, teach them a lot of things. But over and above that we have to model the behavior that we want them to learn. 
 And not only our actions, but our attitude too. It isn't enough to tell them to be polite. It isn't even enough to say "thank you". We have to truly and honestly have a grateful heart. Children pick up on those things. At least mine can. They know a fake attitude, and Canaan especially is not afraid to call me on it. 
 Today my children gave me an example of some my own greatest faults. This afternoon Zion was playing on the computer. His daddy came up behind him and started to tickle him. His response was, "Not now Daddy, I'm playing Elmo!" He is two, with speech delays, so it wasn't quite that clear... but we knew what he was trying to say. Now, I wonder who else in this family might be likely to say "not now".....?  Surely not me! 
 Then when we were sitting down for supper Canaan pulled on the waistband of his pants and said, "I think I'm getting fat." 
 WHAM! Talk about a smack in the face. Perhaps I care a little too much about what size my pants are, and how they fit? 

 What I never finished saying is that, thankfully, we have a Heavenly Father full of grace. HIS example is the one we can count on. HIS example is there, written down, and available for us. 
 I am so sorry, Canaan and Zion, for the many many time I have failed you, and for the many many times I am going to fail you in the future. I will do my best to point you toward the example I am trying to follow. Please, don't follow me. Follow HIM. 

2 comments:

Linzyann said...

They will Bethany, they will. You certainly have set forth an example of following Him to your children.

Anonymous said...

I must say Bethany that as you said in a report on "what I want to be when I grow up" when you were 9 or 10 and I had visions of granduer,(sp?) thinking you might say you wanted to be like your mommy and you said "all I want to be is more like Jesus" and I said, "Bethany I just want to be more like you".. don't worry, you're doing great.