Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Monday, November 24, 2008

Miracle on 34th St.

It is official - my oldest is now a theater geek. Canaan proudly had his first ever speaking part in a theater production. On Friday and Sat. night Act 1 productions put on "Miracle on 34th Street", and he played "Jake", who sits on Santa's lap and asks for a fire truck. My dad has a video of it, but it isn't very clear. I may post it later, if I can clean it up a little.
Act 1 is sort of my Mom's "baby". My younger sisters got involved in theater, after I was already grown and gone, and Mom was a very involved parent. By the time they finished growing up, Mom was hooked. She is the producer, costume mistress and general "whatever needs done" lady, and has now managed to rope in her best friend, Eva Jo, and her two younger kids (who were the flower girl and ring bearer at my wedding!) into it too.
But, that wasn't enough. She needed a family member. Since Mary and Kelsey are too old, it was time to recruit the next generation. So, Canaan has crossed over to the dark side - or turned to the light - depending on who you talk to! HE LOVES IT! He has been here (at Mom's house) all week for tech week, and has gotten slightly spoiled. He has gotten to hang out with teenagers. I have discovered multiple pictures of him on Facebook, hanging out backstage with cute girls. Let me tell you, that is slightly disconcerting ~ to discover pictures of your five year old, with comments to go along with them, all over Facebook. Luckily, so far the manners I have "raised" him with seem to be proving themselves, and the stories I am hearing are mostly good, and all innocent. The only thing bad I have heard so far is that he drooled when he laughed, which with his allergies and the old building they had the play in, is not at all surprising!

Canaan especially loved the idea that he gets gifts after a show. We decided he probably wouldn't care for flowers, so he got matchbox cars, a Curious George book, and candy after his shows. I was definitely afraid he was going to be spoiled rotten!
However, he proved me wrong. Today was the last day to deliver the "Operation Christmas Child" shoeboxes, so we were wrapping them, and putting the finishing touches in them. I noticed that one of them still had some extra room, so I asked Canaan if he could share one of his extra toys. I suggested that he share the Lego I had gotten him when I went out of town last week, since he hadn't opened it yet. He had to think it over for a few minutes, and I didn't push, but in the end, he cheerfully shared.
So, I was super proud of how clearly he said his lines on Fri. and Sat. night. And I was thrilled that he cooperated nicely backstage with the older kids. But more importantly, I was just blessed by the fact that even after spending a week eating icecream every night and getting a toy out of the machine every time they went to the grocery ("It only costs two quarters!!" he cheerfully quoted) (and my Mom made sure to stop by at least every other day, just for him!) Canaan still has a spirit of generosity. That gives me joy.

Be Thankful. Be Blessed, Bethany

6 comments:

Karen said...

What a cute little actor! Corey said Canaan did a great job. I know you are proud of him.

EmileeHope said...

He was wonderful!! I was a proud Auntie Em!! You've done a great job so far-and I know both your boys will turn out great little southern gentlemen!! BTW-Thanks for your help with the decorating yesterday!!

Unknown said...

We had so much fun seeing his debut! What a great son you have.... he will make a great son in law to someone one day, right?! ha ha.

Abigail said...

i wish i could have seen it!

and as a girl who made her debut at age 3 on the Faith Church stage...he's entered the light! There is so much joy that comes from being on stage!

Chrissy said...

How cute. I wish I could have seen him. I bet he was wonderful. Btw...I read your emotions thread. I wanted to let you know that I pray for you, your family and Gifty every day. I do read your posts, but sometimes I have to run to another room to do something before I get to comment. I then lose all train of thought (my ADHD self). I love you. Hope to see you soon,
Christina

Mimi said...

I love that picture of your little actor, he's so darn cute!