Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Tuesday, November 18, 2008

There are birds, and there are birds, and then, there are turkeys....

     I hate birds.
Maybe hate is a strong word, but I strongly dislike them. I know that when I was very young my grandparents had a pet bird. Maybe it bit me, I don't know. I don't have any clear memory of it or anything, but I do have very strong, very clear memories of years worth of nightmares about birds. Birds chasing me, attacking my family, betraying our position to the "enemy". 
And I have never even seen "the movie"!   

Maybe I don't hate them at all - I am just, plain and simply, terrified! 

But despite all that, I still can't enjoy eating them. (maybe because the "evil" birds are usually crows, and the ones I eat are usually innocent and slightly dumb looking chickens?) I read an article this morning about a bird-free Thanksgiving, and it sounded delicious. I am aware that most people associate Thanksgiving with a Turkey, but really, isn't it about thanking God for all of our blessings? That doesn't have to include a turkey.  

Now, I am aware that the people that I will be eating Thanksgiving dinner with are going to be reading this blog. So, Mom and Ellen.... think it over. Then, if you think it over and don't think it sounds good, I promise I will be quiet. Those who will not be eating Thanksgiving with me, think about branching out. Try something new and different. The pilgrims did! 

 On a similar train of thought - The tofurkymobile is trying to travel "around the globe", based on pledges to be meatless just one day a week. If you visit their website you can sign up for a fun info pack which comes with coupons, recipes, etc. If you read the information, you might be interested in trying a meatless day, just once a week. It can't hurt, and you never know what it might help!  According to their website, "We have calculated that the amount of green house gas emissions reduced by going meatless just one day a week is equal to the amount released when you drive a car that averages 20 mpg 16.5 miles." 
 Because of all the grain needed to feed the animals, and transportation to get them to the butcher, then to the store, the electricity to keep them refrigerated or frozen, then to cook them... well - just try going meatless one day a week. Eat fresh, locally grown fruits, veggies and grains. (see my new widget to find local markets) 
 Try making your own bread - trust me, it tastes so much better, simply because of the love your own hands put into it. Add some protein and fiber rich beans to your diet. Maybe some fresh, local organic cheese and butter. Try some nuts, straight off the tree. 
 I love food. There are so many wonderful, edible things out there. All over the globe, humans have discovered amazingly delicious concoctions. And everything had to be "new" at one point in time. Someone had to be the first one to try it. So, remember that, and be creative.
 
 Enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner, no matter what it consists of! Just make sure it includes a small amount of chocolate, because no day is complete without chocolate, and remember most importantly to be Thankful!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hmmmm....I like turkey, of all the meats to NOT eat...I would choose beef...

Unknown said...

A meat free fourth of july sounds more fun!

Corey said...

What would you grill on the 4th that is not meat?!? That is a meat day if there ever was one. I am 100% cool with meat free days. What I am not cool with is Tofurkey. Although it is fun to say, and I actually like tofu, that is like eating a healthy hotdog. A hotdog is meant to make you feel like death about an hour after you eat them, that is the joy of a hotdog! Also, I forgot where I was going with this so I will just say:

I think Thanksgiving is more about giving thanks to God that you only have to eat turkey twice a year. Turkey is over rated...

I also can't believe my wife wants to do away with beef. What about steak?!?

Linzyann said...

Hey,

I really like the new widget! We've checked around here for some farms for free range chicken, beef, etc. and also the farmer's markets and the widget pointed out some new ones. Thanks Bethany! (And for my two cents - I'd rather get rid of anything PIG related than turkey. Pigs are gross.)

EmileeHope said...

Just a note from someone with a really boring diet. After not eating meat for awhile, you realize how much you need it. The chicken I can eat hasn't been on sale lately, so I haven't eaten any meat in awhile, and I feel like I have been starving myself. (Not in anyway by the looks of my body, just by my cravings.) I have always been a fan of not eating a ton of meat-just because raw meat is really gross and cooked meat is still kinda gross (look/feel=gross-taste=fabulous!!!)-but a turkey-free Thanksgiving is not a thought I would like to have. Although I actually will not eat any of the turkey on Thanksgiving day, because it will have been cooked with things I cannot have, I can not even begin to imagine that it would feel like Thanksgiving without the turkey on the table. Sorry Betsy, there is just no way I think that is a good idea!!

Marcy said...

Oh Bethany...I just love you! I don't think I can go a day a week without eating it, but it's a great thought and maybe something I might try one day.