Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Tuesday, December 09, 2008

A Christmas questionnaire

My friend Carrie posted this a few days ago, and I have wanted to do it ever since. So, here it is...

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
  Some of both. I am very much a dork at my own house - I like the bags and paper to match the tree decor, so I try to have as much as possible be blue and silver! 

2. Real tree or Artificial? Fake! As much as a real tree sounds quaint and traditional, I just don't think the sensitive allergies in this house could stand it. Plus, I LOVE pre-lit! 
(This was Carrie's answer, but it works for me too, so I am leaving it exactly the same. However, isn't the picture of the real one pretty?) 

3. When do you put up the tree? When I was growing up, we always did it the weekend of my Mom's birthday. (Which is Dec 9th - Happy Birthday Mom!!) Now that I am grown, I just do it whenever I get a chance. I has been up for a whole week already this year. 

4. When do you take the tree down? Usually about two or three days after Christmas. Always by New Years day. 

5. Do you like eggnog? I have no interest in it. I don't hate it or anything, but it certainly isn't worth the sugar, and my diabetic self has to choose carefully where I spend my sugar calories! 

6. Favorite gift received as a child? I have several. We got a dollhouse one year, and that provided YEARS worth of entertainment. It is still in Mom's basement. 
We also got a telescope one year, which I found out years later had been my Dad's when he was a teenager, and was just a hand-me-down. But, I remember enjoying looking at the stars, and being in awe. 
 I think I am going to ask where that telescope has gone to. Maybe it is time for it to get re-gifted down to the next generation now! 
 I also got lots of books, year after year, and those are always my favorite things! 

7. Hardest person to buy for? Kelsey and Travis, because it has to go all the way to Uganda.

8. Easiest person to buy for? Our kids, because they love everything.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? The question here should be, how many do I have. Probably 10! Willow Tree (which is my favorite), Veggie Tales, and everything in between

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? I have always sent "real" cards, but I think I am taking a break this year. I will just be sending an E-mail greeting this year. So, if you usually get a card from me, don't hold your breath. Especially if you are younger then 70 years old. (I am still going to send a real card to the grandparents, but that is about it) Don't take it personally - it isn't just you, it is everyone. 
 
12. Favorite Christmas Movies? I love White Christmas, Miracle on 34th St. (both the old, and the new one) The Little Match Girl (side story - we watched that movie for the first time the night that Mary Faith was born. I remember all of us watching it on TV. Mom was "uncomfortable", but I was young enough (8 1/2) that I didn't realize that she was in labor the whole time. They put us kids to bed, and the next morning we woke up, and Grandma told us we had a new little sister!)  Scrooge, (which is the musical version), Holiday Inn, 

13. When do you start shopping? I shop all year. I can't help it. When I see something that shouts someone's name, I have to buy it, even if it is July! 

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Probably. Isn't that what "White Elephant Gift" parties are for?

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? That question is just way too hard to answer.... Pumpkin cookies, chocolate covered pretzels, homemade rolls, monkey bread, 

16. Lights on the tree? Is this a yes or no question? Or a what kind of lights question? Hmmmm? Yes, White. There, I answered both! 


17. Favorite Christmas song? There is no way I can pick a favorite. I love it all. I love old classics from Bing Crosby, the Carols I can sing myself, Rocking to Third Day and Jennifer Knapp, Countrified classics... I love it all. If you are listening to my page, you are getting a sampling! 


18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? We usually travel, but I don't think Andy is going to be talked into it again after this year! He is tired of being the one of the road, and since I don't drive one the interstate, he bears the bulk of the load. We will enjoy the busy-ness this year, but probably plan for it to be the last year of driving around. 

19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer’s?  Probably, but I'm not going to push myself this late at night! 

20. Angel on the tree top or star? We have a beautiful blue and silver star. 

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? We always open special pajamas on Christmas Eve, then usually do stockings first thing in the morning, and just see how it goes from there. We like to take it slow! I think that this year we will be doing Christmas in increments. Maybe early Christmas at our house, Stocking at the Binkley Grandparents, Christmas Lunch at the Freeman Grandparents, and Dinner at Auntie Em's. (See why Andy is ready to boycott! I think it will be fun, but I can see why he is a tiny bit stressed!) 

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? When people forget about the whole reason we are celebrating. 

23. Favorite ornament theme or color? Blue and Silver - simple and elegant 

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? I'm voting for a great big spinach salad! 
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? I really don't know. I am really hard to buy for, because I can't ever come up with ideas! I always love books and music, so I could come up with a list of that at a moments notice! 

Okay, TAG, you're it! If you want to do this, go for it. I would love to know if you do it though, so please just leave me a comment letting me know to come look at it, okay! 
 Merry Christmas! 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! I am glad you got to publicize your stance on Christmas cards this year so you don't have to feel guilty anymore! ha ha! I love your new "words of wisdom and wit" I couldn't think of anything good for that.
Have fun at your meeting today.

Kathryn said...

I did this one on my blog since I didn't do the other one you tagged me on lol