Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Thursday, December 04, 2008

Two in one night!!

I already posted tonight, but I wanted to share another quick story. 

When I was cooking dinner last night, I heard the front door open. Biscuits were in the oven, bacon was frying (and had already set off the smoke alarm, and brought my wonderful neighbor running to check on me) and an omelet was just about perfectly browned in the skillet. 
 I knew that Andy was at class until late, and Zion was still in my line of vision, so it had to be Canaan going out the front door. Since he is currently 5 (and a half! as he proudly announces as often as he gets a chance), and I didn't want to burn the eggs, I gave him a few minutes. Less then three minutes later, the door opened again, and he came bouncing back through. 
 I asked him what he had been doing out there, and he replied, "I went outside so I could have a special prayer time with God." 
 
 I was pleased by that idea, since praying is never a bad thing, but reminded him that he needed to ask mommy before he went outside next time. Almost as an after thought, I asked what he had been praying about. I think, since it is nearing Christmas, and he is only 5, I was expecting something self-centered, and childish, like "I was praying for Star War's Legos" or "I was praying it would snow for Christmas". 
 
 No - not my Canaan. He said, "I was praying that God would keep all the people from dying, all over the world, and that He would not let them fight anymore.

 I just nodded, and agreed with him. And my heart broke just a little. 
 
 People are going to die, all over the world, right this minute, and forever. And people are going to fight, all over the world, right this minute and forever. But I like to think that in the innocence of a child's request, somewhere, a miracle occurred. Someone lived, when they weren't expected to. A fight was stopped, when in human terms, it seemed the only solution. Our God is a miracle working God. Often, when we pray the answer is no. I accept that- even relish that, because of the growth that I know it brings - but I so want a small yes, just for a milisecond of time for my baby. 
 So now I pray for his faith. I want my Canaan to continue to seek God. To continue to find quiet moments, to desire conversation with his Savior, to want those "three minutes outside". Even when the answer is no. Especially when the answer is no. 
 
 

3 comments:

Karen said...

What a sweet post to read right before going to bed tonight! Your little boy is precious and the comments he made clearly show what a fantastic job you and Andy are doing in raising your children in the "nurture and admonition of the Lord". Your final paragraph was especially inspiring.

Unknown said...

This is sort of going along with our "Mary heart in a Martha World" book...taking that time!
That is an awesome thing to share, and I too believe that his prayer was answered...what an amazing thought!
Beth Moore once said something to the effect of:
"How would we pray, if we honestly saw God as sitting right there in front of us in the chair listening to what we said...if we REALLY and truly thought he was right there in front of us..."
Imagine that! We know he IS, but do we truly pray like that?
I think kids do...

sweetsong32 said...

That is so sweet. What an innocent prayer.