Who writes this stuff?

My photo
I try to keep my priorities in order: Jesus, my Andy, our children, everything else. I homeschool our boys, love to read almost all written words and have been challenged by the military life for 18 years. Right now my faulty human body is demanding a lot of attention. One day at a time, learning as much as possible every day and remembering to look for JOY when other things threaten to overwhelm.

My Blog Title Verse

"For the Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 NKJV
The Message translation puts it this way "God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding."


Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Goodbyes, and Hellos

 The end of the year is always bittersweet. The excitement of the coming new year is contagious, and those around me, with their courageous lists of resolutions and bright outlooks on the possibilities that await.... well, they rub off on me. But there is a part of me that mourns also. Perhaps I am a little too emotional. Perhaps I hold on too long to things that should be let go of. I think that I feel bad for the old year. Just 12 short months ago, she was greeted with such enthusiasm. She was the one that everyone had big plans for, just a few breaths ago. We blinked, and suddenly, her time in the limelight is over.
 Don't get me wrong, I am full of big plans myself. 2009 is an adventure waiting to happen, and I am eager for her to arrive. However, 2008 deserves a moment of respect. A proper goodbye, I suppose. 

 My closing devotion for the year in "Streams in the Desert" talks about the shepherds of the alpine mountains and a beautiful tradition they have of singing to one another - "The air is so crystalline that the song will carry long distances. As the dusk begins to fall, they gather their flocks and begin to lead them down the mountain paths, singing, 'Hitherto hath the Lord helped us, Let us praise His name!' And at last with the sweet courtesy, they sing to one another the friendly farewell: 'Goodnight! Goodnight!' The words are taken up by the echoes, and from side to side the song goes reverberating sweetly and softly until the music dies away in the distance. 
 So let us call out to one another through the darkness, till the gloom becomes vocal with many voices, encouraging the pilgrim host. Let the echoes gather till a very storm of Hallelujahs break in thundering waves around the sapphire throne, ant then as the morning breaks we shall find ourselves at the margin of the sea of glass, crying, with the redeemed host, 'Blessing and honor and glory be unto him that sitteth on the throne and to the Lamb forever and ever!'"

 I especially loved that last little bit. We should be like the shepherds, and call out to one another, even in the darkness (but also in the light!). Encouragement, reminders of how great our God is, simple praise for our Savior - Out Loud - so that those around us can hear, and join in with us "And again they said, Hallelujah!" Rev. 19:3

 I will do my best to be loud for you my friends. Please, when you hear my weak attempts, join with me, and make my voice stronger. Together, we are strong. Together, we are something to be feared. Let's remember that as we say goodbye to 2008 and welcome in another new year. 

 Hallelujah!! 

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I love this point of view. Well said, and I greatly enjoyed reading the excerpts and verses.
Again, we say,
Hallelujah!!!!!!!
For a new year, for the old year and all that God accomplished in it through us...may we do even more for his kingdom in 09!

Karen said...

Amen! Well done....